- Create a Gift
- Gifts by Occasion
- Gifts by Recipient
Celebrating Mother’s Day
Submitted by TiffanyT on Sun, 04/26/2015 - 08:27
I hope and pray that someone, sometime, will found a memorial mothers day commemorating her for the matchless service she renders to humanity in every field of life. She is entitled to it. —Ann Reeves
Jarvis Mother’s Day is a celebration that Americans have been observing for over 100 years. The very first Mother’s Day was ceremoniously celebrated on May 10,1908 at Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church in Grafton, West Virginia. Anna Reeves Jarvis, a West Virginian social activist who founded Mother’s Day, had wanted to find a way to honor her late mother as well as all mothers who have made countless sacrifices for their children.
Anna organized the first official Mother’s Day celebration with the help of John Wanamaker, a Philadelphia department store owner. John helped Anna finance her campaign to have Mother’s Day officially recognized by the US Government. For six years Anna wrote business executives, church groups, and politicians at the state and national level to promote the commemorative day. It became an official U.S holiday in 1914 signed in by Woodrow Wilson.
Mother’s Day took off like wildfire. Celebrations popped up in towns and churches across the country and internationally. Card and flower companies capitalized on its popularity and shaped our cultural preference for Mother’s Day gifts. As years passed Mother’s Day also became a day where Mom’s were offered a “day off” to do as they pleased and gifts extended to special brunches, lunches and dinners.
Did you know…
• Mother’s Day is the third most popular holiday in the world, second to Christmas and Easter
• 141 million Mother's Day cards are exchanged annually in the United States
• In 2014, the National Retail Federation estimated that U.S. consumers would spend nearly $20billion celebrating Mother’s Day
• More phone calls are made on Mother’s Day than any other day of the year.
• Mother's Day phone chats have often caused phone traffic to spike by as much as 37% At America’s Best Organics we celebrate Mother’s Day the organic way with organic gifts that are healthy and fun. Healthy Moms love healthy treats and over the years we have made sure that we offer gifts that make Moms smile.